nanoETCH - Soft Etch For Graphene & 2D Materials
The nanoETCH implements Moorfield's unique soft-etching technology and provides the fine etching control crucial for graphene and 2D materials research in a convenient, benchtop package.
Developed in collaboration with the Nobel Prize-winning group at Manchester University, UK, soft-etching technology from Moorfield is focused on the provision of low plasma powers, with high control resolution. As a result, and in contrast to conventional etching solutions, the tool enables high-performance for key applications in graphene and 2D materials:
- Substrate preparation for flake exfoliation: Large-area flakes through surface conditioning
- Clean material patterning: Graphene removal without resist residues
- Defect engineering: Creating defects in graphene layers
As standard, the system is suitable for accepting substrates up to 3" diameter. A turbomolecular pumping system enables contamination-free operation. Substrates rest on a purpose-designed stage, and power is supplied from an RF unit engineered to allow for fine control at low powers. Together with carefully modelled in-chamber RF acoustics, this provides the tool with its unique capabilities.
During operation, the nanoETCH supplies process gas through MFCs. These, along with all other hardware, are controlled manually or automatically (recipe-based) via the touchscreen HMI. The system can be connected to a PC for data-logging.
The nanoETCH tool is now installed in leading graphene/2D material research labs, including ICFO (Spain), the Cambridge Graphene Centre and the UK National Graphene Institute.
- Benchtop configuration
- Soft-etching technology: Precision RF power <30 W
- MFC-controlled process gases
- Up to 6” diameter stages
- Fully automatic operation via touchscreen HMI
- Define/save multiple process recipes
- PC connection for data-logging
- Base pressures <5 × 10-7 mbar
- Equipped for easy servicing
- Comprehensive safety features
- Cleanroom compatible
- Proven performance
Available options include:
- Dry backing pump
- Fast chamber vent
- Ultra-high resolution RF power control
- Automatic high-resolution pressure control
- Additional process gases
All nanoETCH systems require chilled water, dry compressed air, nitrogen for venting (optional), process gas supplies, and electrical power.
Exact requirements will be provided with quotations or on request.